Billy’s Eco-Conscious RAM ProMaster 2500 Conversion
last updated: Dec 15, 2021
From induction stovetops to low profile solar panels, if you’re looking for a high-spec van that’s comfortable yet eco-friendly, then this one’s for you.
Billy has been living the minimalist, van lifestyle for around three years. He started converting vans in a bid to live more economically but quickly fell in love with the freedom and potential of the lifestyle. Shortly after, Billy quit his mechanical engineering job to pursue a balanced life of climbing and entrepreneurship.
He spotted a gap in the market for quality build outs, and was inspired to start his own business, Vertical Vans. Based in Utah, USA, Vertical Vans specialise in buying, converting, and selling vans.
‘Alpine’, Billy’s 12th completed conversion, is a 2019 159-inch RAM ProMaster 2500. He’s scrutinised every detail of his previous projects to ensure that it is greater and more efficient than ever.
- V6 3.6L gasoline engine.
- 210ah Lithium LiFePO4 battery system. Switching to Lithium batteries allowed Billy to get rid of the propane systems featured in earlier conversions, which is safer and more eco-friendly.
Kitchen and Appliances
- 90-quart low amp refrigerator.
- 2 burner induction cooktop. Heats up water and cooks food quicker than a traditional stovetop.
- Electric pump sink. No hand pumping required, saving you time and energy.
- Integrated soap dispenser.
- Queen sized, side oriented bed.
- Memory foam mattress.
- 570 Watts of low profile solar panels. Billy’s use of solar panels allows the van to be self-sustaining, and decreases his reliance on external electricity supplies.
- USB outlets. Conveniently located next to the bed so you can easily charge your phone.
- 3 different zones of dimmer lighting: kitchen, bedroom, and living area.
- Energy consumption monitor.
Heating and Cooling
- Double vaso heater. Runs off gasoline rather than electricity.
- 10-speed fan with remote.
- T-vent windows.
Cabinetry and Finishes
- Custom hickory cabinetry. Made from repurposed wood.
- Waterproof flooring.
- Butcher block countertop.
- Soft close drawers.
- 12-gallon water system with low flow electric pump. It holds 6 gallons of freshwater and 6 gallons of greywater.
- Custom upholstered seating.
- Seating for 2 people. Giving you the option to dine with a friend.
- 24-inch rotating flip-up table. This doubles as a dining table and office desk.
- 36-inch gear storage drawers.
- Integrated storage underneath the seats.
- Storage bays. Tall enough to store bikes and long enough to store skiing equipment.
- Centre console with pull out drawers.
Check out the Full Tour of Billy’s Van on YouTube:
Build your own adventure
The guide anyone can use to convert a van into a camper! With over $350 worth of savings inside
Do you want to live vanlife at zero cost?
Nate Murphy knows how to buy vans, convert them quickly and efficiently - use them for years - and then sell them for a profit. This can make vanlife not just free, but profitable!
He has successfully done this for years and he teaches his friends and students to do exactly the same. It is not obvious, but anyone can do it if they have the knowledge!
Join Nate at his free online training (running today) and he will teach you exactly how he does this!
The Van Conversion Guide (14th Edition)
The guide anyone can use to convert a van into a camper! This best-selling guide, now in its 14th Edition, has been used by thousands of people to transform a van into a camper.
- 150+ page eBook
- Helps you convert any kind of van
- Diagrams for all the main systems
- FREE mini-course - 28 video tutorials